Potato bake is so easy to make and I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love it! If you ever have to take a dish to a party, take the potato bake and everyone will love you. It can be made healthier and vegetarian but I would much prefer to fill mine with bacon, cream and cheese!
I can’t remember a family gathering without potato bake and no matter who cooks it, it always tastes great. Ingredients can be mixed and matched to your taste. It’s another one of those recipes that can take almost any ingredient you can throw at it.
Potato bake and salad is the healthier option, but I’ll usually make it with some chicken or sausages to go with it. I have also heard it called Potato gratin but to me it will always be good old potato bake
- 5 large Potatoes thinly sliced
- 3 Bacon rashers (you can also use prosciutto)
- 1½ cups of Thickened Cream
- ½ cup Milk
- 2 cups of Tasty Cheese grated
- 2 cloves of Garlic crushed
- 1 large Brown Onion sliced
- Butter to grease baking dish
- Pepper and Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons of Mixed Italian Herbs
- ¼ of a Red Capsicum (Red Pepper) diced finely
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius (350 Fahrenheit).
- Grease a regular sized baking dish with the butter.
- Add one layer of potatoes which should use up about half of them. Then use half of the onions, capsicum (pepper), bacon, garlic, and cheese to spread out evenly over the potatoes. Mix the cream and milk and pour half of the mix over this layer.
- Then add the next layer of potatoes which will use up the rest of them, and add the remaining ingredients evenly over the potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste, remembering that the bacon will also be salty.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Then take the foil off and continue cooking for another 20 minutes. You can take the foil off earlier if you like your potato bake really crispy like me.
- Let it rest before serving if you can. I rarely ever let it rest for long as I'm generally starving hungry by this time!